1. What is Dry Salt Therapy?
Dry salt therapy, or halotherapy, is a holistic, drug free, natural therapy using micro particles of salt to promote better breathing, healthier skin, sounder sleep, improved physical fitness and endurance and overall wellness. Dry salt therapy also helps to alleviate symptoms of many respiratory and skin conditions.
2. How does it work?
Salt has the following properties:
- Mucolytic effects: loosens excessive mucus and speeds up mucociliary transport
- Removes pathogen agents (airborne pollen)
- Reduces IgE level (immune system oversensitivity)
The salt is grounded into tiny micro particles by our state-of-the-art halogenerator and then dispersed into the salt room or bed. While relaxing in one of our salt rooms or beds, customers inhale the dry, salt-enriched air deep down into the lungs, where the healing benefits do their greatest healing. The salt widens the airways and loosens the mucus, which begins to clear quickly, and inflammation is reduced, which makes more room in the airways for you to breathe. Symptoms subside, sometimes for up to 12 months. The non-inhaled particles landing on the skin help to balance pH and induce the reparative and regenerative processes in the skin, increasing rigidity and stimulating cell growth and microcirculation.
Specific to our salt rooms, we use Himalayan salt lamps and cover the floor in Himalayan salt to generate negative ions, which help to counterbalance the influx of positive ions from the many electronic devices we use every day. This improves your overall mental and emotional health, helping you to relax and de-stress.
3. What is the difference between a salt room and salt bed?
The benefits are the same in each environment, with the duration being different. Salt room sessions last 25 minutes. Those wishing to experience salt therapy primarily for the skin would benefit more in a salt bed due to the level of privacy, which allows one to disrobe. The salt room will only affect the skin areas that are exposed by normal clothing, but both environments will benefit the respiratory system equally.
4. What should I expect to experience in a Breathe Salt Room?
Our beautiful and spacious salt room allows for dry salt therapy to be experienced alone or in a group setting. The large room simulates the environment of a therapeutic salt cave, with Himalayan salt covering the walls and floor to calm the mind and body by releasing negative ions.
- Negative ions counterbalance the many positive ions we pick up from electronic devices like cell phones, tablets, etc. Neutralizing the atmosphere in this way stabilizes mood, decreases stress and prepares the body for ultimate healing.
A salt room session last 25 minutes and requires no more than lying back in a comfortable recliner and breathing deeply. Micro particles of salt are dispersed into the room by the halogenerator while you relax, read, listen to music, sleep or meditate.
5. What should I expect to experience in a Breathe Salt Bed?
A therapy session here lasts 25 minutes and is just as effective as a 25-minute salt room session. An appointment must be made beforehand. A Salt Bed looks similar to a tanning bed except the walls are made mostly of Plexiglas. Salt Beds offer a private setting where you can choose to disrobe to expose trouble skin. Salt Bed’s offer the addition of chromo-therapy as well as a heated double bottom for Himalayan salt crystals that provide additional negative ions and particles to enhance the salt therapy experience and benefits. We provide soft, relaxing music for you to listen to during the session however, you do have the option to plug in your own device during the session. When the session begins, we strongly recommend closing your eyes and taking slow deep breaths.
* If you suffer from claustrophobia, you may experience discomfort but the ability to see your surroundings, helps keep this to a minimum.
6. What clothing should be worn in the salt room and salt bed?
Comfortable clothing is recommended for the salt room. You may change into clothing that exposes areas of skin you would like the salt to reach (shorts, sleeveless shirts, skirts, etc). The salt bed is ideal for skin exposure and is private. We recommend wearing a bathing suit to expose the skin you want treated.
7. What are the side effects?
Since dry salt therapy is 100% natural and drug free, there are no negative side effects. After sessions, you may experience a slight cough, minor tightness in the chest or runny nose, but this is simply the salt doing its work to remove mucus and toxins from the lungs and airways.
8. How often should you come?
- Depending on age and stage of your condition, 20-30 sessions are recommended for long term results.
- The sessions should be frequent; about two or three a week is suggested.
- For irreversible conditions, two to three-month follow-up sessions are recommended to maintain the clear lungs.
In most patients, after a course of Dry Salt Therapy, airways become normal and symptoms disappear. The treatment's efficacy is estimated at 75-98%. Most clients do 1-2 Salt Therapy courses a year. In between they might come back for some top-up sessions, if they start to feel poorly, e.g. they are coming down with a cold.
9. Who can benefit from Salt Therapy?
Dry Salt therapy is like a toothbrush for your lungs and skin, EVERYONE can (and will) benefit. It is a (total) detox for the following conditions:
- Breathlessness and Chest Tightness
- Bronchial Infections
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Chronic Sinusitis
- Sleep Apnea
- Ear Infections
- Laryngitis (Pharyngitis,)
- Sore Throat, and Tonsillitis
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Hay Fever
- Sinus Inflammation
- Smoker’s Cough
- Helps fight against Skin Aging
- Dry and Flaky Skin
10. Salt Therapy can significantly help to:
- Reduce the need for inhalers and antibiotics
- Make your breathing easier after just a few sessions
- Improve lung function
- Reduce the number of hospital admissions
- Alleviate sneezing, coughing, and shortness of breath
- Clear mucus and sticky phlegm from the lungs
- Increase the resistance to respiratory tract diseases
- Strengthen your immune system
- Prolong remission times
11. Is salt therapy safe for children?
Yes. Dry Salt therapy is a completely drug-free treatment for children and adults. Children as young as 3 months have benefitted greatly and respond quickly and effectively to Halotherapy. Children are more prone to respiratory problems because they pick up more viruses and their lungs are not fully developed until about the age of 9. In addition, the environment is filled with pollutants which children have a harder time keeping at bay.
12. Is salt therapy safe for pregnant women?
Yes. Dry Salt therapy is a great choice for women who do not want to rely heavily on over-the-counter or prescribed medication for sinusitis, asthma, allergies, and other respiratory illnesses. Pregnant women who have come to BREATHE have experienced relief for their congestion and chronic respiratory problems. In addition, the ionized salt particles help boost their immune system.
13. Should I stop using my medication during salt therapy?
No. Dry Salt Therapy should be used as a complementary treatment. People who come to BREATHE often find that they can reduce their dependence on certain medications and that their episodes are not as frequent or severe. However, you should always follow your doctor's advice and your prescribed medication regimen.
14. Why is Dry Salt Therapy more effective than Wet Salt Therapy?
Amongst Dry Salt Therapy there wet salt therapy, which claiming to be just as effective. This is not true.
Wet salt therapy is a use of a saline solution that is evaporated into the air and breathed in by clients or used as a method of nasal irrigation. Wet salt only reaches the upper airways and sticks to the nose and mouth, not reaching the throat or the deepest part of the lungs and sinuses. This reduces the salt’s 'phlegm dissolving' properties because it does not get to the places where the salt’s effect would be most needed- in the deepest part of your lungs. This is why spending a few days on the beach is less effective than an hour in a dry aerosol salt room.
With our Dry Salt Technology not only is the salt concentration of the air in the salt room ideal for all clients, but the particle sizes are also calculated to make the therapy as beneficial as possible to everyone whether they are suffering from a skin condition or a disease that affects the deepest part of the lungs.